Nesco Roaster Oven Review
• Product: Nesco® 18-Quart Roaster Oven
• Model Number: 4818-25-20
• Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price: $149.99 (Check here for lower prices)
• Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5 stars
I remember my Granny-Ma’s beloved Nesco roaster oven when I was growing up, so it was with great interest that I tested this 21st century edition. She always cooked the turkey in the Nesco and used the regular oven for all the other side dishes. Without further adieu, here is my Nesco roaster oven review.
The Nesco roaster oven is a countertop stand-alone oven with a temperature dial just like a standard range oven. Unlike a low-high slow cooker, you can regulate the temperature at will to suit your recipe.
Although these roasters are most-loved for freeing up the standard oven for baking the turkey during holidays, it can also be used for steaming, baking desserts, and as a buffet server.
Unlike Grandma’s original standby, the current models have removable cookwell inserts. The stainless steel model is easy to clean, although bulky to maneuver in a standard sink. Put it in your dishwasher, if you have one to accomodate such a size, but I don’t recommend it. Dishwasher detergents can eventually pit the surface. Just let it soak in hot soapy water and use a non-abrasive cleaner and scrubber for tough spots.
You’ll probably need to either pre-brown meats or follow special instructions to achieve a golden turkey. The closed cooking environment is not conducive to browning.
I should also note that Nesco also makes other 18-quart models with porcelain and non-stick interiors. They also come in various colors. Check them out here.
Thumbs up on this one, but plan ahead for storage space. It’s big.
The Bottom Line
The Nesco roaster oven is a convenient alternative to a standard full-size oven. The 18-quart capacity can handle up to a 22-pound turkey.
• Countertop model is a cool alternative to a conventional oven.
• Roasting rack with lifter handles for large meats and poultry.
• Stainless steel insert is removable and easy to clean.
• Requires a large storage space.
• May require special cooking methods to achieve browning of foods.
• 18-quart capacity; up to 22-pound turkey or other food(s)
• Variable temperature control heats from 200 F. to 450 F.
• Roasting rack with lifter handles for large meat or poultry.
• Removable stainless steel insert is easy to clean.
• Roaster may be used to roast, cook, bake, steam, and slow-cook.
• Preheating roaster oven for 20 minutes is recommended.
• Instructions include general cooking times and temperatures for most foods, plus conversion tips.
• Optional buffet server kit available for use as a food warmer.
• Performs like a standard range, except no broiler function.
• Dimensions: 24 x 15.5 x 12.5 inches
• Weight: 15.1 pounds