Homemade RiceARoni is just as easy to make as the boxed stuff, and you probably already have all of the simple ingredient in stock on your kitchen shelves. It is so much better for you, because it has no preservatives or unprounceable additives. It takes only a matter of minutes to prepare the ingredients and only 20 minutes to cook. Make yourself proud and your family lick their lips. Check out my variations below to change things up.
Homemade RiceARoni Recipe
1 Tablespoon butter, olive oil, or coconut oil
1 cup long-grain white rice
1/4 cup vermicelli or thin spaghetti pasta broken into 1/2-inch lengths (measure after breaking the pasta)
1/4 cup minced sweet onions
2 cups strong vegetable broth (see Notes)
1 teaspoon table salt, or to taste (may substitute celery salt)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh chives or parsley
Place a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter, and let it melt. Stir in the rice, pasta, and onions. Stir constantly until the pasta pieces begin to turn golden. Add the chicken broth, salt, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, soy sauce, and turmeric. Stir often until the mixture comes to a low boil.
Cover tightly, reduce heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes. No peeking! When the rice has cooked, stir in the chives or parsley, fluff, and serve.
Yield: 6 servings
• For lemon-flavored rice: Add the juice and zest of 1 lemon to the cooking liquid.
• For Spanish-style: Substitute one 8-ounce can of tomato sauce, 1 cup of chunky salsa, or 1 cup tomato juice for 1 cup of the vegetable broth. Stir in one 4-ounce can of mild green chiles plus 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin.
• For chicken-flavored: Substitute strong chicken broth for the vegetable broth, plus 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning.
• For beef-flavored: Substitute beef broth for the vegetable broth.
• One cup of frozen mixed vegetables may be added when adding the liquid.
• A word about the broths: If you are on a budget, pre-made broths can be pricey in large amounts. It is perfectly acceptable to make your broth from bouillon cubes, pastes, or granules. This is what I do for most recipes. I find that Better Than Bouillon®, Maggi®, and Knorr® bouillon products have superior flavor, but use what you like.
• I actually counted out how many strands of my vermicelli it takes to make 1/4 cup after being broken up. (You’re welcome! 🙂 ) My count was 60. It didn’t really look like that many, but vermicelli is very thin. It won’t matter if you have a few less or a few more. I wouldn’t use regular spaghetti pasta because it cooks up too thick.
Homemade RiceARoni Recipe Photo © 2017 Peggy Filippone